A five-in-one reflector comes with four different colored sides—gold, black, silver, and white. In this video, author Levi Simm demonstrates what each of the colors on the sides of the reflector can do, and which one is the ideal side for you.
- Your 5-in-1 reflector has a cover…that's got four different sides to it.…You've got the gold, black, silver, and white.…Now, the black isn't so much a reflector as it is…for cutting light, it removes light from a scene.…Like on a day like today where it's overcast,…you can use this to remove light coming from on direction.…We'll use it later to create…our own kind of a porch as well.…There's also the silver side,…and silver is a very powerful reflector.…
It's also kind of crunchy,…like it's got a lot of highlights to it.…Maybe you can see it on my face, but it's really powerful…and every time you shine it at your subject,…like I am right now, you end up squinting a lot more.…So you need to be careful using the silver side…of the reflector.…There's the gold side, and as you can see on my own face,…it's really powerful like the silver,…and it's really really yellow.…It probably never looks natural.…I don't ever recommend using this on your subject's face.…
Occasionally I'll use the gold as a reflector from behind…
This course was created by RHED Pixel. We're honored to host this training in our library.
- Leveraging different types of light
- Finding the right light for the right mood or effect
- Taking portraits for business and family clients
- Making the camera and light work together
- Helping people look their best
Skill Level Beginner
5-Day Photo Challenge: Portraiturewith Chris Orwig25m 59s Intermediate
Portrait Photography: Business Portraitswith Robert Vanelli1h 59m Intermediate
Learning Natural Light Portrait Photographywith Chris Orwig2h 30m Intermediate
1. Principles of Portrait Lighting
2. Making Soft Light
3. Five Lighting Patterns
4. Making and Finding Directional Light
5. Ten Portraits with One Light
Next steps1m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.