Learn how to scrape web data. This video covers reading and writing data from the internet.
- [Instructor] Let me show you web scraping in action. … In the following demonstration I'm going to show you … how to scrape a webpage and save your results … to an external file, let's get started. … So your Jupyter notebook is coming with … the standard libraries for BeautifulSoup … already loaded in it so you've got BeautifulSoup … and you've also got urllib and you've imported re. … So what we're going to do is we're going to scrape … a page from analytics.usa.gov we're going to create … an r variable and then we're going to say r is equal to … urllib.request.urlopen and we're going to pass in … our URL into our urlopen function here so … we're just going to create a string that reads … https://analytics.usa.gov and what we want to do … is go ahead and read data out from that webpage … so we're going to call up the read method … off of this whole thing. … And so next let's just create a Soup variable … and what we're going to do is call … our BeautifulSoup constructor … and we're going to pass in our r variable …
AuthorLillian Pierson, P.E.
- Why use Python for working with data
- Filtering and selecting data
- Concatenating and transforming data
- Data visualization best practices
- Visualizing data
- Creating a plot
- Creating statistical data graphics
- Performing basic math and linear algebra
- Correlation analysis
- Multivariate analysis
- Data sourcing via web scraping
- Introduction to natural language processing
- Collaborative analytics with Plotly
Skill Level Intermediate
Python Statistics Essential Trainingwith Michele Vallisneri2h 58m Intermediate
1. Introduction to the Data Professions
High-level course road map1m 28s
2. Data Preparation Basics
3. Data Visualization 101
4. Practical Data Visualization
5. Basic Math and Statistics
6. Data Sourcing via Web Scraping
7. Collaborative Analytics with Plotly
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.