Importing and drawing over a floor plan is an effective way to create a drawing. In this video, learn how to import and prepare the drawing area.
- [Instructor] Sometimes we have a set of plans to work from…and we need to transcribe those into SketchUp so that we can…build a 3-D model from those plans.…A handy way to do this is to import the plan…and trace over it to scale.…To do this, I'd like to use the plan view template,…because it starts in top view, which is helpful…for starting out in 2-D, which is what we're doing.…So first let's import the file.…We'll go to File, Import.…We'll be using the practice file called FloorPlan.…
Now if it's grayed out like mine is,…we'll need to adjust the settings in the format.…Right now it's only pulling SketchUp files,…so I like to use the drop down menu…and choose All Supported Image Types,…and now they should be at full contrast.…PC users, you don't have the ability to import a PDF,…so you'll have to use the JPG file.…Mac users, you can go ahead and import the PDF.…So I'm going to select that.…We want to make sure that we are using it as an image…and not as a texture, so I'm going to go ahead and import.…
And it will be attached to my cursor.…
- Navigating the interface for Mac and Windows
- Customizing toolbars
- Selecting and moving objects
- Drawing lines and shapes
- Modeling from a floor plan image
- Resizing and rotating objects
- Using organizational tools
- Working with components
- Creating and applying materials
- Animating and exporting your drawings
Skill Level Beginner
SketchUp Pro: Dynamic Componentswith Scott Onstott3h 13m Intermediate
What you should know1m 16s
1. The SketchUp Interface
2. Manipulate Objects
3. Drawing in SketchUp
4. Modeling from a Floor Plan Image
7. Document and Stylize
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.