Tableau visualizations summarize data using specific visual techniques. In this video, learn how to change the visual summary type.
- [Instructor] One of Tableau's great strengths is the number of built-in visualization types that are available to you. You can change between them, as long as your data supports it. In this movie, I will show you how to change from one visualization type to another. My sample file is 10_01 Change Type, and you can find it in the chapter 10 folder of your exercise files collection. I have created a text table, which is the most basic of the Tableau visualization types. I have sales broken down by product category, and also by year. If I want to change to another vis type, then I can go to the 'show me' button, click it to display the gallery, and all of the visualization types that are displayed in color are available to me. So, for example, I could create horizontal bars, by clicking it, and there you see that it's broken down by year and also by category. I can do stacked bar charts or a column, and I can also do side-by-side bars for column charts. So, as you can see, changing from one vis type to another, in Tableau, is a straightforward process. If you find a new way to visualize your data that explains your point better, feel free to use it.
- Explain where a user would navigate to seek specific help in Tableau.
- Determine the best approach for using Excel in Tableau.
- Interpret how to use the features and functions of Tableau when creating charts.
- Describe how best to manage data in a worksheet or visualization.
- Explain how to create a selection filter for certain values.
- Explain how to manage data for different chart formats.
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introducing Tableau
2. Managing Data Sources and Visualizations
3. Managing Tableau Worksheets and Workbooks
4. Creating Custom Calculations and Fields
5. Analyzing Data
6. Sorting and Filtering Tableau Data
7. Defining Groups and Sets
8. Creating and Pivoting Crosstabs
9. Creating Basic Visualizations
10. Formatting Tableau Visualizations
11. Annotating and Formatting Visualizations
12. Mapping Geographic Data
13. Creating Dashboards and Actions
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.