When giving a presentation that includes Tableau data, you will often create a PowerPoint slide deck. In this video, learn how to export visualizations to PowerPoint.
- [Instructor] Tableau includes several different modes for presenting data, but some users are just more comfortable using Microsoft PowerPoint. You can use the techniques in this movie to create PowerPoint slides based on the visualizations you create in Tableau. I'll demonstrate using the sample file named 03_10ToPPT, which you can find in the chapter three folder of the exercise files collection. The PPT in the filename is a common abbreviation for PowerPoint, so if you see that in the context of Microsoft Office, that is probably what it means. If you want to export a visualization or visualizations to PowerPoint, go to the file menu, and then about 1/4 of the way down, there's export as PowerPoint. Go ahead and click that, and then you get the export PowerPoint dialogue box, and you can include this view, or if you click the down arrow, you see you can also include specific sheets. I'll just show you what that interface looks like, although I only have one sheet. So I'll click specific sheets, and you see here that I could select individual sheets, select all, clear all, and so on. I'll go ahead and export the current sheet, so I'll click export. I get the save PowerPoint dialogue box, which is basically just the save as dialogue box. I won't change the name, I'll just click save, and my file has been exported. If I want to open it, I can go to the chapter three folder of the exercise files collection, so I'll do that. And then here I see my file, so I'll go ahead and I'll click that. PowerPoint fires up, and I get a title slide with information about what I'm creating, and then here I have the visualization itself. So as you can see, exporting to PowerPoint is a straightforward process. You lose the interactivity built into storylines and Tableau workbooks, but your vis is available in the program that you wanted to use.
- Explain where a user would navigate to seek specific help in Tableau.
- Determine the best approach for using Excel in Tableau.
- Interpret how to use the features and functions of Tableau when creating charts.
- Describe how best to manage data in a worksheet or visualization.
- Explain how to create a selection filter for certain values.
- Explain how to manage data for different chart formats.
Skill Level Beginner
1. Introducing Tableau
2. Managing Data Sources and Visualizations
3. Managing Tableau Worksheets and Workbooks
4. Creating Custom Calculations and Fields
5. Analyzing Data
6. Sorting and Filtering Tableau Data
7. Defining Groups and Sets
8. Creating and Pivoting Crosstabs
9. Creating Basic Visualizations
10. Formatting Tableau Visualizations
11. Annotating and Formatting Visualizations
12. Mapping Geographic Data
13. Creating Dashboards and Actions
Next steps1m 17s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.