- Dashboards are made up of worksheets and building your worksheets first will help you with your design and dashboard layout. So having a high-level process for how to set requirements, design, and get feedback is vital for building and evolving your dashboards but at a very tactical level. So really we start with our design process. We build our worksheets and then we pull those worksheets into the dashboard. Many of the components of an effective dashboard are built at the worksheet level So creating our interactivity through filters or parameters, putting in our labels, picking our color choices, picking out what charts we need.
All of those are designed through calculated fields at the worksheet level. As an example of how these all may fit together we may need multiple worksheets to meet all the requirements of our dashboard. So maybe we need different maps or we need different calculations that we're going to bring in, and then those can fit underneath our actions of filters and parameters. And all of those then eventually filter up to the overall view of the dashboard. So really the dashboard becomes the container to hold the worksheets. Now really this is just my design process having spent some time building dashboards so that I can meet the overall requirements, but there are certainly other ways that you go about designing and creating your dashboard.
Through this course we'll go through the worksheets first and then show the drag-and-drop into the dashboard. But another very popular way might be to draw out your overall template like to actually sketch it, or you may have your own method for how you ultimately get to the output of the dashboard. But really the most important thing is just finding a process that works for you that allows you to get those requirements built into the dashboard and meet all the requirements of the project. So building worksheets first let's you meet your design requirements and basic chart design and then quickly build a dashboard template around those charts.
- Building worksheets to feed dashboards
- Formatting data
- Creating visuals
- Creating calculated fields and sets
- Designing the dashboard
- Adding interactive parameters
- Keeping your Tableau dashboard up to date