Lisa Bock reviews ways to protect the operating system by using patches and upgrades, disabling unnecessary services, and periodic security testing.
- [Narrator] Threats come from a number of different sources … hackers, malware, an administrator … that doesn't monitor their systems for signs of intrusion … or even a disgruntled employee. … Hardening an operating system minimizes exposure … to threats and involves several steps. … Use anti-virus and anti-spyware protection … and schedule daily automatic definition updates and scans. … Secure email systems to minimize threats. … Do not open any suspicious email attachments … or respond to requests from unknown senders. … Conduct periodic risk assessments to identify … specific threats and determine the effectiveness … of security controls. … Use strong passwords or passphrases for all user accounts, … disable any unneeded user accounts, … and lock the computer when you step away. … And most importantly, … think before downloading and installing any free software. … Whenever you have software or an operating system … periodically, you should download and install … the latest manufacturer's patches. …
- Define “passphrase.”
- Recall the purpose of multifactor authentication.
- Identify the tool used in today’s Windows operating systems to secure the file system.
- Explain what happens when a file is moved into a folder with permissions.
- Name the authentication protocol used in Active Directory.
- Recognize the location of the audit logs.
- Summarize the purpose of hardening.
- Explain the purpose of cryptographic techniques.
Skill Level Beginner
IT Security Foundations: Core Conceptswith Lisa Bock1h 35m Beginner
IT Security: Key Policies and Resourceswith Gregory Michaelidis23m 44s Intermediate
1. Understand User Authentication
2. Understand Permissions
3. Dissecting Audit Policies
4. Server Protection
5. Providing email protection
6. Understand Encryption
Next steps1m 3s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.