Learn how to create a new virtual hard disk, or VHD, using Hyper-V Manager by working through the New Virtual Hard Disk wizard. Consider the disk options during this process including how to format the VHD you want to create and where to save it. Once the VHD is created, perform a traditional installation using Windows installation media and install to the new disk.
- You can install Windows 10 to a virtual hard disk. … A virtual hard disk is most often used … to hold a virtual machine … but a VHD can also contain disk partitions … and a file system as well as data. … You can install an operating system … on to a virtual hard disk. … If you opt to do this, … the installation process is the same … as any other Windows 10 installation. … But getting to a place to install it … is a little more complicated. … Although there are various ways to go about this task, … I prefer to create a VHD in the Hyper-V manager … and perform the installation on it the first time I connect. … We'll need to start the Hyper-V manager. … If you haven't previously pinned it to the task bar, … type Hyper-V in the search box, and click it in the results. … It's pinned to my task bar here, … so I'll click it once to open it up. … Click the computer name … and then click action, new, virtual machine. … Read the introduction. … This introduces you to virtual machines. … When you're ready, click next. …
- Choosing an upgrade or new installation
- Choosing a Windows 10 edition
- Creating installation media
- Installing and upgrading Windows 10
- Troubleshooting group policies on devices
- Configuring and managing device drivers
- Configuring the desktop
- Configuring notifications
- Configuring Cortana and Hyper-V
- Using Active Directory-based activation
Skill Level Intermediate
Setting up Windows1m 28s
1. Prepare for Installation
2. Perform the Installation
3. Configure Devices by Using Local Policies
4. Configure and Manage Device Drivers
5. Perform Post Installation Tasks
6. Explore Enterprise Solutions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.