Learn what operating systems can and cannot be upgraded to Windows 10 and which have to be migrated. Migration involves moving data—and possibly settings—off of a machine and saving it to an external drive or network drive temporarily. Once a clean installation has been performed either on the original machine or a new one, the data—and possibly settings—can be moved onto it.
- [Instructor] Only a few operating systems … can be successfully upgraded to Windows 10 … while maintaining the user's profile, settings, and data. … Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 are upgradeable. … However, earlier operating systems … like Windows Vista are not. … Having the ability to maintain an existing configuration … is part of the allure of upgrading … over performing a clean install. … The user gets to keep their desktop background, … accessibility options, favorites, … email settings, fonts, and so on. … Some settings that apply to applications … might remain unchanged, too. … So, problems arise, then, when a user wants to move from, … say, Windows XP or Windows Vista to Windows 10. … While it's fairly easy to back-up data to an external drive, … reinstall a computer with a new edition of Windows, … and then put the data back on, it's much harder, … if not impossible, to move the user profile … and the application settings … without purchasing third-party tools. … Here are just a few of the tools available to users …
- Choosing an upgrade or new installation
- Choosing a Windows 10 edition
- Creating installation media
- Installing and upgrading Windows 10
- Troubleshooting group policies on devices
- Configuring and managing device drivers
- Configuring the desktop
- Configuring notifications
- Configuring Cortana and Hyper-V
- Using Active Directory-based activation
Skill Level Intermediate
Setting up Windows1m 28s
1. Prepare for Installation
2. Perform the Installation
3. Configure Devices by Using Local Policies
4. Configure and Manage Device Drivers
5. Perform Post Installation Tasks
6. Explore Enterprise Solutions
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.